YMX VC051 Software Developer Degree Apprenticeship
Yokogawa Marex has an exciting opportunity from September 2023 for a Software Developer Degree Apprentice to work within the Software Development team on new and existing projects in the design and implementation of software products and solutions, whilst obtaining a BSc (Hons) Digital & Technology Solutions Professional (Software Engineer) Degree.
The role will provide you with hands on experience to support your university studies. The working week is Monday to Friday, including one day a week at Solent University in Southampton.
Yokogawa provides advanced technologies and services in the areas of measurement, control, and information to customers across a broad range of industries, including energy, chemicals, materials, pharmaceuticals, food, and water. Around 18,000 employees work on all five continents with one corporate mission, to “co-innovate tomorrow”.
Our aim is to shape a better future for our planet through supporting the energy transition, (bio)technology, artificial intelligence, industrial cybersecurity, etc. We are committed to the United Nations sustainable development goals by utilizing our ability to measure and connect.
We are looking for a dynamic colleague who shares our passion for technology and cares for our planet. In return we offer great opportunities to grow yourself in a truly global enterprise where respect, value creation, collaboration, integrity, taking care of each other, and gratitude is highly valued.
As a Software Developer Degree Apprentice, you will be:
- Full-time from day one, working with and making an immediate impact and contribution to a dynamic software development team.
- Learning on the job, gaining skills and experience that underpins the Software Engineer Degree whilst at Solent University.
- Provided with the support you need from an experienced and inclusive team to progress your career as a software developer
Key responsibilities and duties:
- Production and review of requirements, functional and design specifications, for the development of complex software solutions deployed in mission critical environments.
- Development and modification of software components adhering to quality standards in line with requirement, functional and design specifications.
- Review software components for compliance to quality standards.
- Production and review of test specifications to carry out white box testing in line with the appropriate quality metrics.
- Planning, design, and development of automated unit tests to improve efficiency and test recurrence.
- Creation and testing of software release media to include the relevant installation packages and documentation (user, installation, and release).
- Diagnosis and assistance to other departments/teams for software issues including usability, configuration, and coding related problems.
- Optimise the use of technology in the development of software solutions.
What we promise to offer:
- Freedom to do your job with autonomy.
- Exciting challenges within a mature organization that demands a high degree of individual responsibility and promotes initiatives.
- A healthy work-life balance, with a hybrid working pattern (currently in trial), working from home and the office. You should live within commutable distance to our premises in Cowes, Isle of Wight.
- The successful candidate will need to apply to the University and be willing to travel (ferry tickets funded by the company) once a week to Solent University Southampton for day release starting September 2023.
- Working hours: 37 hours per week, Monday to Thursday 7.5 hours, Friday 7 hours. Flexibility will be required to meet customer and business needs.
- Contract Type: Permanent.
- Annual salary in line with those for an apprenticeship, funded travel during apprenticeship, and additional benefits, including: Pension with company contribution of 5% and associated Death in Service cover, bonus scheme, healthcare scheme, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays with increments based on length of service.
- Innovative and advanced high-technology products and services.
- Excellent career opportunities within an international environment.
- A fun working atmosphere with various opportunities to work with awesome colleagues all over the world.
At Yokogawa we believe that our employees are crucial to our success. To help you maximize your potential, we offer an environment that actively encourages personal development and continuous learning (through internal and external trainings such as the leadership academy and sales academy, internal mobility, etc.).
What you will bring to us:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9-4 (A*-C or above) including English Language and Maths
- 3 A-levels or equivalent, ideally in STEM subjects (Maths, Computer Science) or BTEC, HNC Computer Sciences, or a previous Level 3 IT/Computer Apprenticeship
- We will consider mature students who have not recently undertaken a formalised course of study at A-level or equivalent, but who can demonstrate relevant workplace or voluntary experience that indicates their ability to complete the course successfully.
- Enthusiasm, good communication skills (both verbal and written), be customer focused, thrive on problem solving, have the desire for continuous quality improvement and be a team player.
Desirable but not essential:
- Experience of standard Microsoft office applications.
- Object Oriented Programming, for instance C# or C++
- Web languages including HTML and CSS
- Relational Databases such as SQL
For information on the Software Developer Degree Apprenticeships at Solent University, see the following link: https://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/apprenticeships/digital-and-technology-solutions-apprenticeship
Important for us:
For Yokogawa diversity and inclusion is not just a human resources initiative or social to-do. It is something that we strongly believe and promote. We aim to recruit talent who dare to bring change to our organization with a diverse mindset and refreshing new views.
Yokogawa wants a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture. We will actively recruit, develop, and promote people from a variety of backgrounds who differ in terms of experience, knowledge, thinking styles, perspective, cultural background, and socioeconomic status. We will not discriminate based on any categorization of humankind. Yokogawa values differences and enables everyone to belong, contribute, succeed, and demonstrate their full potential.
For further information about this vacancy or to apply, please contact email@example.com with your CV and covering letter illustrating experiences and successes at your previous roles and education, even where these are less relevant to the role.
The successful candidate will also need to apply to the University when indicated. Yokogawa Marex will assist and support the process.
All applications to be submitted by email, and strictly no agency calls or agency CV submissions. Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
Closing date: 28th March 2023
Click here to download job advert as PDF